[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler PXE Menu Under CentOS 4.6

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue May 27 18:59:05 UTC 2008

Demetri Mouratis wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> Do you mean you have a system named "default" in Cobbler?  If so, that will
>> override your menu behavior.
>> Definitely delete it and then you should get the menu.
>>
>> Let me know if that's not the case.
>>

> Oh, I see.  I wanted to have the default in there as a fall back in
> the event no input was detected during the menu phase.  It's not
> imperative, so I've deleted the cobbler system "default".  The
> behavior now is that the system does not PXE boot.  It simply falls
> through to the local grub config and boots up the old Centos 4.6 image
> installed on the machine.
>
> My environment was previously homogenous installation of Centos 4.x
> but now I'm having to support Centos 4.x/5 in parallel.

Perhaps it does.

With the 0.8.X and before implementation, you have to type "menu" to get
to the PXE menu, because that menu did not time out automatically.
So there is a good chance it /is/ PXE booting, but syslinux times out
because you didn't type "menu" at the prompt.

The other PXE behavior would be achieved by something like:

cobbler system add --name=foo --mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --profile=bar

Where then you pin that mac address to a specific installation target.

Could that explain what you are seeing?

--Michael