[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager and pxe install

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 27 20:06:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 05:54:12PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 04:56:06PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> >>hi,
> >
> >KVM only virtualizes a CPU that matches the host. If you're on a 64-bit
> >host, then it only virtualizes a 64-bit CPU. It doesn't virtualize a
> >32-bit CPU - if you want a true 32-bit cpu on a 64-bit host you need to
> >emulate with QEMU instead.  That said its rather pointless because you
> >can run a 32-bit  guest OS in a 64-kvm KVM vm just fine.
>
> huu i learn again something:-) until now (ie. in previous version of
> virt-manager) i can select 32bit for my guest so i assume kvm can
> virtualize 32bit cpu on 64bit host.

Then you have likely been running your VMs with plain QEMU and no
acceleration

>                                       but if it can't it'd better to not
> allow to choose 32bit in case of kvm. and of course virt-manager already
> know the host has only kvm hypervisor.

That is already the case - if you select KVM then it won't let you select
i386 and vica-verca.

> >>- after select i386 creating the disk image virt-manager crash with some
> >>python backtrace as can't connect the guest.
> >
> >Please file a BZ with the details
>
> it's more then half year old:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2007-October/msg00062.html

Note where I said *BZ*, and that is not enough information anyway. It
needs the full virt-manager log file, and the VM log from /var/log/libvirt

> but anyway. my question is anybody ever be able to install a guest from
> virt-manager using pxe boot on kvm? since my assumption is that it's
> never been tried and never worked.

It has been tried and does work.  As I said in my previous mail there are
sometimes problems with some versions of KVM, and also incompatabilities
with certain DHCP/PXE servers. There are also frequently mis-configured
hosts by the sysadmin which block the traffic in the firewall.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|