[et-mgmt-tools] Features request

Michal Novotny minovotn at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 06:28:21 UTC 2009

Well, in my opinion you have to consider that virt-manager supports both
KVM and Xen so you can't simply give KVM only stuff there. It's like the
ac97 card request - Xen doesn't support this card so virt-manager
doesn't have a choice to select it at all. In fact, there should be one
way for already existing and maybe even domain creation - the
information about connection type is stored when we have domain already
setup but also, in creating new domain we know (due to virt-manager.log)
what hv type will be used - whether kvm or xen so theoretically this
should work to compensate the differences between KVM/Xen but I don't
know whether it's a right way.

To your requested features:
1. Bridged networking - yeah, this could be good to be added there not
to have to setup the bridge manually
2. Snapshots - like I said, you're referring to KVM so see above, Xen
can save the machine to a checkpoint file while not running (ie. this
shuts the domain down) or even when running (not shutting the domain
down) and I think nothing else is there about that. I don't know about
KVM options.
3. Additional networking options - what options do you mean? What would
you like to have there?
4. Bridge wireless NIC cards - would this be useful?

Thanks,
Michal