2.4.24 I/O error breakage

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Tue Jul 6 14:38:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 14:02, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> > Nothing EVER hits the logs. Not a single error. Every process that
> > accesses the disk seems to fail. It looks like ext3 is failing every
> > I/O request.
>
> When the system generated (sufficient) corruption, it would trigger the
> default action of remounting the filesystem read-only, which cause a
> good deal of follow on failure; perhaps this is the case here?

Right.  That has been the standard behaviour of ext2 and ext3 on certain
critical corruptions for a long time.  On ext3, it is usually
accompanied by log messages about the journal aborting; all future
writes get the EROFS fs-is-readonly error.

Of course, if this hits the partition with /var on it, your logs stop
being recorded too.  Serial or network console is invaluable in
debugging such cases.  (I use ttywatch to monitor serial console on all
my test boxes.)

--Stephen