Help needed to recover data from ext3 file system where mkfs was issued accidentally

kapil.sampath at wipro.com kapil.sampath at wipro.com
Sun Apr 24 12:06:27 UTC 2005

Hi,
I connected my harddisk which had ext3 filesystem and some files
archived in it as slave device and issued "mkfs /dev/hdb2" accidentally.
Immediately I issued Ctrl C and stopped the process. But before that it
had deleted some 100 Blocks.

After that I am unable to boot that hard disk as primary device. The
system is asking me "please insert a valid boot device and press enter"

I am even unable to connect it as a slave device and mount it. The mount
is saying bad super block information.

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb2 mnt_pt/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb2,
or too many mounted file systems
(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

Please tell me how can I recover my data.

This disk is containing important data.

Regards

Kapil Sampath