[2.6 patch] fs/jbd/: possible cleanups

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Sat Apr 30 18:26:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 04:24:16PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2005  01:57 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > This patch contains the following possible cleanups:
> > - make needlessly global functions static
> > - #if 0 the following unused global functions:
> >   - journal.c: __journal_internal_check
>
> >  /* Static check for data structure consistency.  There's no code
> >   * invoked --- we'll just get a linker failure if things aren't right.
>
> The comment above this function specifically says no code is generated
> here - the purpose of this function is to generate an error if the
> journal superblock is the wrong size (e.g. someone adds fields without
> updating the padding).

Ah, that's the part I didn't understand about it.

I still don't like this creating an empty global function.

What about moving it into one of the other functions (e.g.
journal_init)?

> >   - journal.c: journal_check_used_features
>
> I'm not aware of any current users of journal_check_used_features(), but
> the complementary function journal_check_available_features() IS used by
> ext3 and I can imagine that if we ever need to add some more journaling
> features it would be useful instead of mucking in the journal internals.

My patch changes it from a global EXPORT_SYMBOL'ed function to a static
function.

If ext3 will ever require it undoing my change shouldn't be a problem.

> Cheers, Andreas

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.