mount r/w and r/o

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Thu Nov 3 22:07:35 UTC 2005

On Nov 03, 2005  13:18 -0800, Jeff Dinisco wrote:
> I have an ext3 filesystem mounted r/w on 1 host and r/o on multiple
> hosts.  Dangerous but cost effective.  I recently implemented some
> protection through a fc switch that restricts some hosts to r/o access
> to the data luns.  So if someone types mount -o rw or something, all is
> not lost.

This is completely dangerous and should not be done.  The FC switch is
preventing potentially serious corruption to your filesystem, but is
not preventing the r/o clients from getting corrupt/stale data and
possibly crashing.  There is nothing on those clients to keep their
cache up-to-date with what is happening on the r/w server.

> Is there a way to automatically skip the recovery attempt, and if so,
> should I use it?

No.

> Am I going about this all wrong, is there a better way to do this (other
> than GFS)?

As another person suggested, NFS is fine for small-scale usage like
this.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger