turning off journaling on the fly?

myLC at gmx.net myLC at gmx.net
Sat Sep 17 15:27:18 UTC 2005

Dear penguin lovers, =)

I'm running Linux (2.6) on a satellite receiver with
harddrive. The latter is formated in ext3.
So far, everthing works fine.

Now here's the small problem:
The receiver is in the same room I sleep in and when it
records at night time I can hear the journaling going on
(heads clicking - even though the HD is set to silent mode
via hdparm). This is surely due to the journaling as during
playback the heads remain quiet.

Is there a way to disable journaling on the fly (some option
in /sys)?
Or can I remount the harddisk from ext3 to ext2 on the fly -
and does this work when it's being written to?
And - last but not least - would the solution (if there is
any) be "riskless"?

Thank you very much for any help!
                                      myLC at gmx.net

PS.: I'm not subscribed to the mailing list,
      thus I can only read direct replies.