Filesystem too large...

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Tue Apr 4 18:10:10 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 00:56 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Apr 03, 2006  17:16 -0700, Brandon Evans wrote:
> > I need to setup a 3.27TB ext3 filesystem using -i 1024 and -b 1024.
> >
> > When I try to format this partition I get the "Filesystem too large."
> > error.  Are there any plans to update these limits?  are there any
> > patches already available that I can try out?  Or am I just SOL here?
>
> The same patches that have been posted here (or maybe ext2-devel?)
> to increase the fs size to 16TB are applicable in your case.

Yes; just note that with a 1k blocksize, 2^32 blocks will only get you
as far as 4TB, not 16TB.  But yes, it should work.

However, 1k blocksize is usually a bad idea unless you really need the
very very best space efficiency on the filesystem: it usually performs
worse than 4k blocksize, and it imposes other limits such as a maximum
file size of a bit over 16GB.  With 4k blocksize, a 3.27TB filesystem
should just work.

--Stephen