change sector size in EXT3

paulvarjak at gmail.com paulvarjak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 11:03:21 UTC 2006

Hello all.

I'm having some trouble with a big RAID disk formatted with ext3 under
RHEL3.

The size of the partition is 1.5 Tb and the sector size is 32Mb. The
partition was intended to store very large files (1 or 2 Gb each one) but
the reality is that there are also a lot of TXT files (less than 1Kb). As
every TXT is taking 32Mb and there are a lot I'm loosing around 300 Gb of
space.

I would like to change the sector size to 2Mb or 1Mb but I don't know if
it's possible to do it without loosing the data stored in the FS. I can do
it unmounting the FS, this is not a problem, but not backing-up, deleting
the FS, and restoring (too much time!!).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Salva (Spain)