File system checking on ext3 after a system crash

Balu manyam balu.manyam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 16:35:53 UTC 2007

Hi folks --   My machine is a RHEL 3 with 2.4 kernel  installed - with some
large ext3 filesystems on drives connected internally  ( >200G)

Now, When this system crashed (for eg:- a CPU panic /hardware error )   -
e2fsck on this filesystem seems to be taking a long time to return thereby
adding to the overall downtime of this system.

could there be any workarounds for my issue?

say for example , to have it try to replay the journal and if it fails only
then , configure  it do a full check ?

I am really helpful to any advise I may receive

Thanks,
Balu.