corrupted FS!

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Fri Feb 2 20:38:02 UTC 2007

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Marco Polo wrote:
> of its directories gives "Input/Output error". The ls ?la on the FS shows
> "?" for every field with no permission information. The /var/log/messages is
> flooded with:
>
> Feb  1 10:12:21 *HOSTNAME* kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda1):
> ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=178356225, block=356712450

hm, are there device related messages in the syslog? "unable to read
inode block" sounds like general i/o errors to me.

> e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)

can you try a more current version? e2fsprogs.sf.net is at v1.39

> It seems like the partition table is corrupted and not the superblock, and
> if so, what would be the right way of going about it?!

sorry to repeat myself, but at first I'd make sure that there are no
device errors. if this can be ruled out: do you have spare 250GB to
backup you (corrupt) fs? if yes - please do, then use the current fsck
to try to repair the fs.

C.
--
BOFH excuse #45: