corrupted FS!

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Sat Feb 3 00:30:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Marco Polo wrote:
> Feb  2 11:49:15 backup kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device sda1):
> ext3_clear_journal_err: Filesystem error recorded from previous mount:
> IO failure

well, that's the one spot where it says "io failure". from looking at
the other places in fs/ext3/inode.c I cannot tell for sure if they are
related to IO errors though...

> Feb  2 11:49:15 backup kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device sda1):
> ext3_clear_journal_err: Marking fs in need of filesystem check.
> Feb  2 11:49:15 backup kernel: EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors,
> running e2fsck is recommended

so, mounting succeeds and even recovery is fine. looks like filesystem
structure is intact.

> Feb  2 11:49:15 backup kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev sda1, type ext3),
> uses xattr
> Feb  2 11:49:23 backup kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda1):
> ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=127238145,
> block=254476290

...yet e2fsck fails to repair the fs? have you tried the current
version?

but anyway: since you can mount the fs: try to mount it ro, probably
withouth fancy options and try to backup your data if you did not
already. btw, which kernel/distribution is this? does a more current
kernel help? (it won't help when I/O errors really are to blame)

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #153:

Big to little endian conversion error