New undelete tool for ext3

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Tue Mar 11 23:37:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:56:07PM +0100, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> I understand your frustration. The fact that people use your stuff but
> won't come around to say thank you will probably not change. It's however
> possible to shift your perspective and that has the potential to reduce the
> frustration.

Carlo,

Absolutely.  I'm not sure how many people use e2fsprogs, but granted
it's "somewhat large", yes?  (As in every single Linux computer out
there.  :-)  I get a thank you note about maybe once a year.  I think
*once* a grateful user sent me a paypal payment of $20, but that was
extremely rare in the over 12 or so years that e2fsprogs has been in
existence, and I was completely (but pleasantly) surprised when it
happened.

If you're in this business to get thank you notes, or virtual beers,
you're in the wrong business.  :-)

Now, what you *could* get out of it if you are willing to write a
paper and submit it to OLS, or Linux.conf.au, or some other
conference, might be an invitation to tell others about your cool
tool.  And if you are one of those who get satisfaction at download
statistics, that can be good too.

BTW, if you are willing to relicense your code to GPLv2, I would be
interested in reworking bits of your tool into e2fsprogs's debugfs.
Or if you'd like to keep it as a standalone tool, that's cool as well.

Regards,

							- Ted