[fab] kernel modules

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 19:10:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Josh Boyer wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 09:32 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>> - kernel modules outside of the kernel package in Fedora. Vote yes or no
>> so we can move on.
>
> This one has been asked about on the list about 4 times now.  Would be
> very good to get an answer.

The prevailing sentiment is that the engineers most directly impacted by
the decision are not in favor of kernel modules, and I think we need to
trust the technical expertise of the people who will be doing the work.

Therefore, if I had to lay down an opinion, I would say that if Dave Jones
(et al) are opposed to kernel modules, then we need to say no.

Additionally, if there is a belief that kernel modules would be a Good
Thing but we are forced to say no for various reasons (like bug triage as
an example) then we need to identify those reasons and act to resolve
them, so that we can revisit the issue at a later date, with the answer
being "no" until we are ready for it to be "yes".

Does that make sense?  I'm sure someone out there things I'm wrong.  Tell
me why, and let's put this issue to bed.

--Max