[fab] kernel modules

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Sep 20 14:05:41 UTC 2006

> On Tuesday 19 September 2006 16:04, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Arguments against kmods:
> > * It makes the job of diagnosing kernel bugs harder as there could be
> > extra kmods on top of a stock fedora kernel.
> > * kmods and kernels could go out of sync.
>
> Wrong.  By nature, kmods and kernels will ALWAYS get out of sync.  This will
> prevent security updates from installing on a users system until the kmod
> developer gets around to rebuilding the module.  This is a REALLY poor user
> experience.  Further arguments against kmods include:

>  * no sane way to package them, everything is just a hack
>  * no sane way to manage installation/upgrades.  RPM just does not mesh well
> with the way that kmods need to operate.  The way rpm handles kernel is a bit
> hacky, multiple releases of a package installed at the same time.  Throwing
> addon packages to this in the mix makes the whole RPM system spiral downhill
> in a hurry.
>  * kmod developers are largely out of the loop in kernel developments and
> directions of the kernels.  This is somewhat solveable but hard to keep up
> especially if we allow more and more kmods in where the packare is just that
> a packager, and not a kernel developer.
>

> > Arguments for kmods:
> > * It makes the job of the end-user easier because they need the
> > functionality anyway and will get it from another source if necessary.
> > * It makes the job of the kernel developers easier because they at least
> > know the end-user is using a kmod from fedora-extras (and can ask: "if
> > you rpm -qa |grep kmod does that turn up anything?"  whereas a from
> > source kmod would not leave that evidence.)
>
> Um, lsmod is pretty easy to run.  And its quicker than rpm -qa.  This argument
> is bunk.
>
> > * Fedora is a home for all open source software.  Open source kmods are
> > part of that definition.
>
> Yes, however there is no reason why these kmods couldn't live IN the kernel
> src.rpm and not in separate packages.  I'm not against Fedora including

Yes, there is.  DaveJ said no, and I don't blame him.  If it lives IN
the kernel src.rpm, then bugs get filed against that and the problem
lies back on the Core kernel developers.

> released at the same time and gets the same attention.  The real challenge is
> making it easier for the community to assist in the kernel development, not
> in creating subpackages of modules that only makes it more complex and
> difficult.

Considering the number of people that work on it now, and the things
needed to keep in sync, I find that to be just as complex as keeping
them in their own package.  For example, you do _not_ want to hold up a
Core kernel security fix because someone from the community has a driver
that needs updating.  It's the same damn argument, only now it prevents
the security fix from getting out for _everybody_ not just the ones
using said module.

josh