[fab] kernel modules

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Sep 20 19:53:21 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 10:05, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Yes, there is.  DaveJ said no, and I don't blame him.  If it lives IN
> the kernel src.rpm, then bugs get filed against that and the problem
> lies back on the Core kernel developers.

Thats the point.  If the module isn't good enough, isn't ready, doesn't have
upstream committment to track the latest git trees from Linus, then it really
has no business being packaged and provided for Fedora releases.  Many 3rd
party modules that we'd be allowed to package do NOT track daily linus get
trees, nor our Fedora update trees.  There is no commitment from upstream to
keep the module building.  We're mostly software packagers here, not driver
developers.  Do we want to require our kmod packagers to be competent enough
to keep the module source building on a daily basis?  Fedora wants to stick
close to upstream, but in this case, the kernel.org is the upstream.
Anything else is forks and branches that aren't part of the upstream.  Sounds
more like a case for Fedora Unstable or Fedora Bloody Edge Extras.
Definitely not something we want in an actual release.

> > released at the same time and gets the same attention.  The real
> > challenge is making it easier for the community to assist in the kernel
> > development, not in creating subpackages of modules that only makes it
> > more complex and difficult.
>
> Considering the number of people that work on it now, and the things
> needed to keep in sync, I find that to be just as complex as keeping
> them in their own package.  For example, you do _not_ want to hold up a
> Core kernel security fix because someone from the community has a driver
> that needs updating.  It's the same damn argument, only now it prevents
> the security fix from getting out for _everybody_ not just the ones
> using said module.

See above argument.

--
Jesse Keating