info for non-redhat folks

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Dec 22 17:00:09 UTC 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:19:57 -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
>
> > But interestingly enough, when I interviewed at Red Hat and got the
> > "what Linux distro do you use" question, everyone's response was
> > "cool, I used to use Slackware too!"
>
> "I used Slackware.  Once.  Then I tried to update it."

Ah, lessons in history. Slackware on 30-40 3.5" floppy disks. Updating it
-- one had to do it because of dependencies -- became more convenient with
the help of RPM (back in time still called Red Hat Package Manager) and
the most relevant tarball packages wrapped into binary rpms to fill the
RPM database.