Request for Trademark Approval (Fedora AOS Spin)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 20:58:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 15:56 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:

> So far the trademark guidelines haven't had a use case where we
> required a package or a feature.  While I want to see SELinux retained
> in the main Fedora release, there may well be a good reason for a
> Fedora spin or derivative to not include it.
>
> Perhaps Spins need specific features retained; are Spins merely
> different package sets?
>
> Fedora derivatives are certainly more than just different package
> sets.

This echos back to a conversation I had during the core/extras merge
meetings, the idea of a Fedora Standard Base.  That is, a basic set of
things you must have in your "spin" in order to call it Fedora.  These
include things like rpm, yum, and SELinux (at least in my opinion), but
we never really coded this up nor hashed out what should be in the FSB,
or if FSB was even a good name for the concept.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!