Request for Trademark Approval (Fedora AOS Spin)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 21:28:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> This echos back to a conversation I had during the core/extras merge
> meetings, the idea of a Fedora Standard Base.  That is, a basic set of
> things you must have in your "spin" in order to call it Fedora.  These
> include things like rpm, yum, and SELinux (at least in my opinion), but
> we never really coded this up nor hashed out what should be in the FSB,
> or if FSB was even a good name for the concept.

None of these sort of technical or quality arguments with regard to
how a set of Fedora packages maybe chosen to make up a Spin are
accounted for in the new trademark policy as drafted.  The new
trademark policy is much more liberal than this, and in fact I doubt
that the Board would be required to approve trademark usage of the AOS
concept as it stands is if the new trademark policy was in effect at
this very moment.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/NewTrademarkGuidelines#Pure_Fedora_spins

If we are serious about adopting the New Trademark Guidelines at some
point, then I think its appropriate to view the current trademark
approvals that come up in the light of that trademark policy draft.
And under that rules laid that in that draft.. I don't see anything
blocking use of the trademark.  If selinux support can be stripped out
using nothing but pure Fedora software...that is not a blocker on the
trademark approval.  If you want it to be a blocker, then you need to
punch Paul in the head about changing the new trademark policy draft
to account for that... before we put them in place.

Now a technical or quality bar such as the FSB concept may be
appropriate as a technical hurdle to get into to the kickstart pool
and other potential central project services which could be layered on
top of the kickstart pool like composing and hosting.

-jef