Fedora Board election results

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Jun 25 11:36:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:29:57 -0400 (EDT), Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > Looks like you're biased and in "defensive mode" already.
>
> Maybe that's because you are in "offensive mode", Michael.

What is offensive about saying that I think almost all decisions come out
of Red Hat (Legal, Financial, Engineering, RHEL Engineering, Fedora
Leadership)? I'm _not_ saying that Red Hat uses a majority to overrule
community reps. If you or John read it that way, I can't help you. If you
feel being attacked, relax. Perhaps read my initial reply once more and
don't see negative words everywhere.

> What is your point with all of this, Michael?  Is there some actual change
> that you're trying to create?  Do you not feel sufficiently empowered to
> drive the behavior you're looking to see in Fedora?

6% voter participation is weak. Very weak. I was happy to see interest in
gathering statistics on the voters. Then when it was suggested to ask the
community as whey they didn't vote, I explained why I almost didn't vote
either. You don't like the reply or you see it differently. Perhaps next
time I won't vote anymore. Simply because I don't see how it matters. Or I
will vote again and reward the 1-2 nominees where I see proof of ability
(and to support the system).

There's the "Board Elections open on 13 June" mail from Paul Frields.
Scroll down to the bottom, to the chapter after the "* * *". Read it. It
magically creates three "? ? ?" in your head. Look at past board
elections, the nominees and the elected members, try to remember their
mission statements (if any) and achieved goals. Any highlights? Any
examples of where it made a huge difference to vote for X instead of Y?
(other than that it's more difficult for a community rep to spend a
similar amount of time on fedora than a RH employee)

> Or are you just trolling?

Thanks, no. If memory serves correctly, it's the first time I'm being
asked that. How things can change. One year ago, Max asked me "have you
considered running for Fedora Board?". :-)