Fedora Board election results

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Jun 25 19:49:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:14:53 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> > I'm close to being convinced that it is not language barriers that cause
> > misunderstandings in discussions like this. What is it then? It's a
> > completely different line of thinking coupled with frayed nerves.
>
> So if it isn't a language thing...
>
> All that I can see here is a reluctance to vote for any person who may
> happen to work for Red Hat, regardless of group or duty.

Rather than "reluctance", I would call it "personal preference" paired
with experience. Is it not forbidden to vote for non-RH nominees only.
I find it completely plausible that a community volunteer wants to take
the chance at filling community seats with non-RH community reps and
giving them a voice.

With the disclaimer in front that I am not Ralf's spokes-person, ;) what
makes you think that this time Ralf did not have any specific reason not
to vote for some [or any] of the RH candidates?

> The conclusion
> I jump to is that by not wanting to vote for these people, they are
> somehow less qualified for the job, or less likely to do a good job than
> somebody else.  It seems that the reasons given aren't specific to the
> individual, just the generic label of being a Red Hat employee.  That's
> what I take offense to, or at least sadness to.

That's too pessimistic. You could still try to persuade such voters
with doing a brilliant work as a FPB member, who shares common interests
with them.

> I honestly hoped that people would be voting due to individual concerns
> rather than paycheck signers.  Did I get voted in because I work for Red
> Hat?  I certainly hope not, but at the same time I would certainly hope
> that somebody else /wouldn't/ get voted in next time just because
> they /do/ work for Red Hat.

We don't know who voted. We don't know anything about the voter
distribution. How many first-time voters? How many have taken part in past
elections and have drawn conclusions?