Fedora Board Recap 2008-JUN-24

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jun 29 09:26:05 UTC 2008

On 29.06.2008 04:03, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 18:44 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> For example I guess a least a few Summit attendees might have joined the
>> the EPEL hackfest discussions if they were scheduled for a specific date
>> and time; likely same for the Spacewalk discussions; maybe even for the
>> rawhide discussions as well. But that of course would have required that
>> we say "EPEL discussions Friday 10 - 12, room 310; be there is you are
>> interested; we'd like to have your input how to move on with EPEL".
>
> FWIW, we did, but we didn't widen the audience for that beyond
> fedora-isv-sig-list.

One of the few Fedora lists I'm not (yet) subscribed to ;-)

In any case: It was just meant as example. Nevertheless:

> We pulled the ISV, EPEL, and Java packaging stuff together within the
> weeks just before the Summit, and we didn't advertise the sessions as
> widely as possible.  I'd thought this article was going to be in the Red
> Hat Free Press (daily newspaper from the Summit), which would have
> helped a bit:
> http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/06/19/fedoras-extra-packages-for-enterprise-linux-%e2%80%93-the-extra-mile/

It was in the Free Press IIRC. But the basic information "there are
people from EPEL in the Fedora hackfest room; join them if you want to
discuss or help with EPEL; those with the EPEL-Hat on their head are the
ones you need to talk to (¹). There is also a two our discussion
scheduled for 2 pm on Friday in room foo; feel free to join it" was
missing afaics. :-/

(¹) which IMHO would be important; if you came into the Fedora room as
non-Fedora-contributor you might feel lost and unwelcomed quickly as the
groups on the different tables looked busy; at least some people in
situation like that just leave instead of poking someone to say "hey, I
want to talk to the guys from EPEL" (just a example)

 > [...]

While at it: Karsten, thx for doing the EPEL talk on the summit itself.
I could not join it, but I suppose it was great and helped a lot!

Cu
knurd