Coordinate different education spins/efforts?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Mar 28 12:25:38 UTC 2008

> Both K12Linux and the Edu-Sig have slightly different target
> audiences/goals afaics, but they are not that different and I suppose
> most users will not understand the difference between "K12Linux is
> Fedora's spin for educational technology." and "The project aims to
> optimize Fedora for use at universities and schools as well as for
> education usage by schoolers or students.".

The way I understand it is that K12Linux is a decendent from K12LTSP
which was about integrating LTSP into Fedora. The current tag for
K12Linux is "Using Linux For Your School Server". Furthermore the
project describes itself more like an upstream project: "K12 Linux is
really about education, not so much about a particular distro or
package".

OTOH the education sig is definitely Fedora specific and looks beyond
server/client connectivity topics. I'm not sure that merging them
would really benefit the two groups (that certainly do partly overlap).

At least that's my (short) experience with the two projects. Note that
the EDU sig is quite fresh and thus doesn't quite have a record of
activities to back this up.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net