Fedora 11 schedule proposal

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 19:39:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Otherwise, we're really saying that the release date of release n+1 is
>> release n's date + six months (which is what we used to do).  And the
>> problem with that is that any slips over time meaning that we end up
>> running into major holidays for a release date and have to have a
>> long/short cycle to reset things.
>
> Does it make sense to ask the following questions?
>
> Historically, how much do we tend to slip per release?  Disregarding
> the month during F10 run up specifically during the infrastructure
> rebuild.  Are we somewhat consistent with regard to slippage? Is there
> an average slippage? The sample size is pretty small so I admit its
> not a statically valid measure.   What's the most we've slipped in the
> past, that is not the direct result of significant system downtime?
>
> Accounting for historical slippage, were does F12 release land? Mid Nov?

Historically, Red Hat Linux missed a internal and external ship date
by 2 weeks to 1 month pretty consistently. Fedora seems about the
same. Some of it was because 'stuff happens' and some of it was that a
some set of people don't get serious about something until the
deadline starts looming.Those people's effects have a trickle down
effect which usually adds up to a slip. I think the closest RH came to
an on target release was when everyone in development was told that X
was the ship date and Y turned out to be what management expected. X
was missed by Y was hit.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux