[Ambassadors] FreeMedia India Distribution Backlash

Karlie Robinson karlie.robinson at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 3 10:24:10 UTC 2006

Siddharth Upmanyu wrote:
> "Shipment Tracking system" is still not a solution because voluntarily
> accepted request is not a "becomes the responsibility" in most rigid way...
>
> community programs cannot be used in a way that put restrictions and
> rigid guidelines to the people who contribute to it...
>
> Siddharth

I've been reading along and there's a few things that are jumping out at
me.

One, I would think that if someone volunteers to send a disc they would
do so.  If they don't have the intention of following through, why
accept the request in the first place?

Second, from my own point of veiw, stuff happens.  There have been times
when I've accepted a huge block of addresses and it's taken me a few
days to actually get them out .  Keep in mind creating and shipping
discs are what I do for a living.

Third, there had been talk very early on with Sponsored media about
creating a database driven system to eliminate some, if not all of the
tedious manual entry that takes place... Mostly by Tchung on the main
list.  So far we seem to be doing ok with what's in place and there's
really no need to 'fix' it until there's an actual problem with manual
entry (Are you sick of manual entry yet, Thomas?  if so, what can we do,
add our own star when we accept the request?)

And finally, with tracking... I send everything by Air Mail Letter post.
I'm sure the others are sending their discs by standard service mail too.

Other than my name being next to someone's name in the list, there's no
tracking.  I can look up what date the article was post marked only
because I use an ePostage system to print out complete mailing lables.
Otherwise, when it's gone, it's gone, there's nothing I can do about it.

Obviously if someone takes the time to email me and ask if it's lost in
the mail, held up in customs, swiped from a mail box etc I'll re-ship,
but if not, what should we do.  Even with install partys and other
events, we can't personally deliver all of them.