[Ambassadors] FAMSCo was (Re: Meeting minutes of the FAD)

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Fri Dec 8 18:49:33 UTC 2006

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:

> There was an interesting request for Fedora media by a german
> university and this request was approved by the last FAMSCo members,
> but unfortunately it wasn't shipped and neither my email to FAMSco
> wasn't replied. In the end, we lost a very good opportunity for fedora
> marketing and at the same time those who participated were left
> behind. Since then ThomasChung is doing a for great job and I
> congratulate him for that.
>
> However, to prevent this next time ...

I agree that if an individual was approved for media by FAMSco and they
didn't receive it then that is a problem.  However, shouldn't we give
the current FAMSco group time to "prove" themselves before we declare
the process as not working?  You've already said Thomas Chung is doing a
great job - I think we need to have faith in who the Fedora Ambassadors
elected.

> we (the FAD attendees) have come
> to a "possible" solution which might be, "elect one FAMSco member per
> region/continent". This FAMSCo member will be elected from the
> ambassadors from his/her region only and as the same time will be
> entitled to give priority to the requests of his/her ambassadors.

I don't see electing one FAMSco member from each region as solving
anything.  We want a FAMSco that is active and makes fair decisions on
matters that are their responsibility.  *Every* media/reimbursement
request should be looked at objectively by the entire committee
regardless of what country a committee member is from.

Looking at the last election there were only eleven nominations.  In the
end I think the result ended up with a mix of countries - Italy,
Belgium, the US and Brazil - even using our current process.

Elect people based on their contributions and effort for the
Ambassadors, not solely on their country of origin.

--Jeffrey