[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Be a critique

Pablo Barrera Franco pablo at barrerafranco.com.ar
Tue Feb 21 15:16:12 UTC 2006

Hi all,
Being critic....so i have some about technical tips, but as Fedora like
a bank of test of RHEL its very difficult to split both projects.

Anaconda no more!
I think that the ananconda installer is out of date. Mandriva installer
is the best linux installer so far. A resizing module,
and expert and common user interface is the best option.

How to replace...
Replace and improve Mandriva Installer and put in Fedora Core 6 Release!

No modular control center
Dont have a control center unified like SuSE or Mandriva is another
difficulty. No internert sharing wizzard with ease of use,
No Cuztomization of services,, bad Network manager, no wizzards, no
integrated GUI Firewall (firestarter could be an option)

How to replace
Leave behind configuration in place holders and unifiy the control center.

Up2date? Yum extender? or KLIK!
Yes, we have klik a MacOS style installer. A synaptic like interface
with rpm packages is the best option. Yum extender even is not
official is worst than Synaptic.

How to replace
Leave behing up2date...for ever...

Too much cds...too much bleeding edge
When we make an update from a common workstation we need at least 100MB
of updates anyway. So, why not release a
single cd with the most commonly packages and manage the others via
Internet?
Ubuntu has more aceptance cause they have a single cd. For some
countries is too much embarrasing to do this... accesibility
is the key...

How to replace
Only one cd is enoguh for an installation. Yum will do the rest of the
work...

Bluecurve makes me remember Red Hat 9, GNOME or KDE, of both?
yes is a theme, could not be a valid argument. SimpleKDe is the best
option for a single cd installer. If some one wants gnome download it
and run it!

How to replace
KDE simple is the next generation of desktop or XPDE,,,,(more better,
faster and cheaper (Mathew dixit in Summit 2005)

Non technical tips
When we make a critic is not possible to split the Fedora roadmap around
non technical issues. Strategy for US based countries
is not the option. Non intuitive wiki, non subdomains for localized
Fedora Community (fedoraproject.org/us /chile /germany
with a centralized CMS system, etc...No book of spread fedora, slides
rules, motivation program for ambassador, tools for get
more people around FOSS. I think that the Fedora Foundation must find
the way to redesign all the strategy around Fedora with
technical and non technical issues...

Well i think that I become to much critic!, but in this case is what i
feel...You ask for it you get it! :-)

Anyway I love Fedora.

--
Pablo Barrera Franco