[Ambassadors] Active/Inactive Ambassadors

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Apr 3 13:09:07 UTC 2007

Francesco Ugolini wrote:
> You say that people do nothing is not a problem, but let me say the
> reason why this is our BIG problem.

Yes, getting more people actively involved is indeed the goal. However,
allowing 'inactive' individuals to remain a part of the group isn't a
problem. Having X inactive Ambassadors costs the project nothing.
Kicking X inactive Ambassadors out engenders much bad feelings from
those ex-Ambassadors, and is thus counter-productive. At least inactive
they weren't helping or hurting. With egos bruised they are going to be
more likely to be anti-Fedora, and even if they aren't actively
campaigning against us, they are likely to at least have bad feelings
against Fedora, are more likely to use a different Distro, and recommend
it. Purging them doesn't buy you anything, except perchance making those
who have the Ambassador title a bit more elite, which I can't imagine is
what we are after.

> First of all we are a community that have a goal: promote Fedora and
> Open Source Philosophy. A person who join this project have the role to
> do this. If he doesn't work what is doing here?
>
> We aren't paid, we don't force people to join, so why we have to allow
> people have their name in Ambassador List?

Perhaps what is needed is a minimum standard prior to joining - one has
to do X, Y and/or Z before one can become an Ambassador. However, that
hasn't been the standard. The standard has been, sign the CLA, join the
mailing list, and introduce yourself.

> In you company is better that people work or the stay on the chair
> thinking the sun? I think that if someone does this he would be fired
> instantly.

This is the problem. You equate a volunteer with a paid employee. Having
an employee sit around and do nothing, and still collect a paycheck
costs something. You are putting out the salary and benefits, and expect
something in return. What does Fedora put into the Ambassadors,
particularly these 'inactive' Ambassadors? An email alias? a few
processor cycles sending them mailing list posts? In the grand scheme of
things, it costs Fedora nothing to have an inactive ambassador, and
because we 'give' the Ambassador nothing, it's hard to demand a certain
level of activity of a volunteer, particularly when the bar is set so
low to join initially.

> We haven't this motto: "We are an Open Source community, who doesn't do
> anything is Welcome" we ask people to work. Another point, why we ask a
> probation period, not to annoying people for a month but to see is
> someone is truly convinced to stay here.

The only restriction for people on probation is that they can't request
swag, they still get the title, the email alias, etc. That tells me that
FamSCo or RH simply didn't want to ship thousands of dollars of
merchandise to someone who has only been around for a week.

> We aren't a toy that who want can use and then trow. We are serious
> people that are here to work, work, work.

So then why permit anyone to use or download Fedora if they aren't
serious and don't want to contribute back? Our software is important,
many many people invest hours upon hours of development, packaging,
artwork, etc.