[Ambassadors] NA Ambassadors Meeting 2008-07-30 Meeting Summary

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 11:41:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, David Nalley wrote:

> *Outsourcing CDs - Jeffrey Tadlock was absent but reported via email
> that the idea was still being considered by FAmSCo.

Here is some data, for what it's worth:

For Fedora 9, in North America we (meaning I) got 3,000 CDs and 2,000
DVDs for a total of $8,175.

If you do the math, that is $1.635 per disk.

Another item worth remembering:

FAMSCo's budget for Q3 events & swag is $15,000, which needs to service
the entire world.

So it is highly unlikely that a bulk sum of multiple thousands of
dollars will be set aside special for Fedora 10 CDs and DVDs in North
America.  The on-demand model is a far better way to enable individual
event owners (who will have their own budgets carved out for them) to
get what they want, when they want it.

I expect that starting March 2009 (beginning of the next fiscal year),
we'll be able to get more money for the global event fund.  It will
certainly be put into the Community Architecture budget proposal for
next year at a higher number -- the number was higher this year in our
initial request, but during the finalization of budget, a number of our
items had to be reduced a little bit.

--Max