[Ambassadors] New Project: Blur

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Mon Jul 13 04:49:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Braden Faulkner<bradenflknr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree, lots of good points there. I'll be sure to check out that video,
> thanks. So, you think sharing the patches would fix the problem?
>
> Best regards,
>
> - helofromseattle
>
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/user:helofromseattle

I don't know that there is a problem in the first place, or if it is,
what the clear definition is of that problem.
I do think that people making changes and not pushing those changes
back upstream is a problem, and for that particular problem yes,
pushing patches back upstream might solve the problem. There are cases
where that simply doesn't work. No one (except RHEL users) wants a
patch from RHEL3 - because we are ~5 years down the road from RHEL3,
and development has significantly moved on. That also holds true for
virtually any distribution that isn't on the leading edge - by the
time they get around to patching something, upstream development has
likely moved on, and those patches may well be worthless. It's a very
complex problem set quite honestly.

Regardless this discussion is a bit OT - I think -devel might be a
more pragmatic mailing list for getting participation on such a
project as this mailing list is for those who represent Fedora to the
outside world.