[Ambassadors] mentorship, sponsorship, etc.

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 15:06:04 UTC 2009

On Mar 29, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Rangeen Basu <sherry151 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/29 Rachit Gupta <rachit.tech at gmail.com>:
>> Morpheus..we can start a forum where we can provide all the basic
>> details
>> about how to start with fedora ambassador program..also how these new
>> ambassdor can contibute to foss.
>
> Easier said than done. Take the clue from Ambassador's Quick Starter
> Guide[1] (I am not accusing anyone here) project. And isn't the
> mailing list supposed to serve exactly the same purpose?
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Quick_guide
>
> Regards
> --
> Rangeen Basu Roy Chowdhury
> Fedora Ambassador
> sherry151 at gmail.com

used to discuss the basic elements of contributing to an OSS project
or discussion of basic ideas and philosohy of OSS in general.
Currently I think it is used for these types of discussion, which is
why we have hundreds of messages that say "me too" or "I'm here".
That said, I think we can all agree that currently we do a poor job of
orienting new ambassadors to steer them towards alternatives.  The
regional Ambassadors list is more suited to answering new Ambassadors'
questions as the people or processes tend to vary enough region to
region.

I don't want to discourage participation in the community, but many of
us agree that the noise to useful message ratio on ambassador-list is
skewed towards noise.  It boils down to this:  Think about all the
senior people in the community worldwide that read your email to
ambassador-list, what impression do you want to make on them?  Does
your email convey this impression?

Having access to the global Fedora community is a privlege, like all
privleges, if it is abused, it will dissapear.

Many of us have ideas of what we'd like a new ambassador mentoring
program to look like.  David (ke4qqq) has an email he sends to new
North American ambassadors to welcome them.  I'll put it on a wiki
page tonight along with the thoughts mentioned throughout this thread,
I think that those things will likely be a good start for us to help
orient new members joining our sub-community in Fedora. I'm travelling
today, so if someone wants to take the initiative for creating the
page, I wouldn't mind ;-)

-Scott