[Ambassadors] Need some help on "[Fedora-freemedia-list] What Now James?"

Neville A. Cross nacross at gmail.com
Tue May 5 20:47:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:26 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:33 AM, David Ramsey <diamond_ramsey at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Greetings.  :)
>>
>> Everyone, came across a thread on the Fedora-freemedia-list which may need
>> some TLC help.  :)

>> "[Fedora-freemedia-list] What Now James?" -
>>
>> Currently starts here -
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/private/fedora-freemedia-list/2009-May/msg00146.html

>> Currently ends here -
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/private/fedora-freemedia-list/2009-May/msg00298.html

> Private lists aren't available for the public to read so most people
> won't be able to read them. This has been raised with the fedora board
> and they are the authoritative source of how such things should be
> handled anyway.
>
> I do think there is an important question not raised in this thread
> though. How can ambassadors help their fellow ambassadors and other
> fedora contributors who happen to be residents of embargoed nations?
>
> Frankly I think we did a very poor job of being ambassadors in this
> case, but that might largely be the result of our not knowing what our
> boundaries are in cases like this.
>
> John

The question was raised at the time Joerg send the welcome message
including an ambassador in IRAN. I was expectant of news because it
was close of the time that NOVA (Cuban distro) was released and
brought some opinions about dealing with embargoed nations. The LATAM
ambassador list was hotter that the global ambassador list on this
topic. Anyway, the point is that there was no advice from the list at
that time. Just a few scratching their heads not sure how to deal with
an embargoed ambassador asking for advise on how to proceed. I,
feeling myself a newbie, was not really into advising on that
complicated topic. Not giving proper advice at that time let this
evolve into the free-media tracking system. I feel guilty as well.

best regards to all

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217