Fedora Release Graphics Specs

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Mon Dec 11 20:17:13 UTC 2006

Diana Fong wrote:
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  However, please let me know
> prior to posting it on the wiki so I can double check the information
> with our engineers here.  Thanks.

The information I posted there comes directly from the GDM and firstboot
maintainers from when I wrote the FC5 GDM theme and when I was involved
in the QA effort testing RHEL 5 Beta. I work directly with these
engineers on a regular basis. Thanks for the offer, though. It is not
needed, however. :)

>> 3. 'File Name + Extension: background.png + gdm' This isn't actually
>> correct. GDM themes are more complicated than this. The theme is
>> actually an XML file in /usr/share/gdm/themes/$THEME_NAME that
>> references images, and the name of the XML file & image names and
>> filepaths can be rather arbitrary.
>
> To help expand upon this section, I've included a link to
> http://www.jirka.org/gdm-documentation/x1454.html for more information.
> A cursory glance at the page indicates it to be informative...however,
> if you find a more recent/better page, please let me know.

The official GDM documentation is a better resource and I can add that link.

>> 4. Should probably take out the screensaver lock dialogs information
>> since I don't believe those are open for graphic design anymore. The
>> sprites can certainly be modified though.
>
> I would like to keep the information available as the option to theme
> the lock dialog image is still there and request for its consideration
> was brought up during FC6.

And turned down. There are a number of usability issues that theming the
lock dialog bring about. We want a usable desktop first, then a 'pretty'
one.

> However, as mentioned before, the Lock
> dialog as well as the GNOME splash screen are turned off by default (fwiw).

Because of the usability issues.