how decisions are made in fedora art

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu Dec 21 19:50:54 UTC 2006

*NOTE* -- this is a long email, but I hope ultimately that anyone who
reads it will find it wasn't a waste of time.

=== Where I am coming from ===

In case some of the folks on this list don't know me, I'm Max Spevack.
My job is "Fedora Project Leader" and insofar as that makes me ultimately
accountable for everything that either does or does not happen in Fedora,
I've been asked by a few different people to jump in on this list and try
to help with the decision making process.

I am not particularly active on this list.  I am not an artist, nor am I
here to tell anyone "this art is good and this art is not as good".  I
liked the FC5 art.  I like the FC6 art.  I trust that the Fedora 7 art
will also be great.

But what I am interested in is making sure that all of the various Fedora
sub-projects are able to make progress, work toward their goals, etc.
And to do so in a way that is consistent with the community, meritocracy,
etc. ideas of Fedora.

So I shall try to help in that regard.

=== What is Fedora Art trying to do? ===

What is certain to be an incomplete picture:

(1) Develop the different pieces of a desktop theme (icons, backgrounds),
ultimately resulting in an "official theme" for each release.

(2) Explore new ideas in icons or fonts, keeping up with the latest
developments in the OSS world in this regard.  Here I'm thinking about the
work that was done in switching our default font for FC6.

(3) Misc artwork as needed, based on whatever the "current theme" is.
Here I'm thinking about the artwork for the DVDs, wallpapers, etc.

(4) Legal issues around all of this stuff.

(5) Expanding itself and attracting more talented folks to contribute.

(6) Whatever other stuff I'm not thinking about.

=== Who cares deeply about the results? ===

One source of conflit within many Fedora sub-projects comes from the fact
that the work being produced by our dedicated contributors is being used
by multiple other groups.  Fedora artwork is no different.

(1) Red Hat's desktop team, led by Jonathan Blandford, is responsible for
the look and feel of the desktop on Red Hat products.  To that extent,
they want to be able to have some input into what the overall Fedora
desktop experience will be like in a given release.  This group of people
want to make sure that the desktop "looks good".

(2) David Zeuthen, who is the package maintainer of the desktop artwork.
He cares about the end result insofar as he needs to know what to package
up, and he needs to know that when he spends the time to build that
package, the artwork that he's pulling in is "blessed" and won't have to
change a bunch of times.  Furthermore, he wants to make sure that the
desktop "looks good".

(3) Me (and the Fedora Board).  I'm held accountable by Red Hat for
*everything* that carries the Fedora name.  So like I said above, I want
to make sure that the community that we build around Fedora Art is a good
one, and I believe that the results we get out of the community will end
with the desktop "looking good."

(4) The volunteers and contributors who work directly on the Fedora art.
The actual artists who actually *create art*.  You all want to make sure
that the Fedora desktop "looks good."

And while it may sound silly to repeat it, I will draw your attention to
the fact that *everyone* involved wants the same end result.  The conflict
is in what the best way to achieve that end result is.

=== The Fedora 7 theme ===

I was very pleased to see Maureen Duffy's work in the Fedora 7 theme
creation process (Artwork/FC7Themes).  The open submission window, the
voting among the community of the favorite ones, and then the refinement
of those themes and ultimate selection of a winner, from which the
remaining details then get worked out.

I think that is the only way to handle the theme selection that is in the
spirit of how we try to do things in the Fedora Project.  I think that
Jonathan Blandford's team (whether that be Jonathan himself or one of the
people who works for him) should be able to offer input and opinions, as
should all of the other contributors and volunteers in the Fedora Art
project.

Obviously I can look at all of the themes, and I have one or two that I
think are the "best", but I think the process that has been ongoing is
*sure* to produce a result that everyone will be happy with (ie: the
desktop will "look good"), if we have the guts to see the process through
to the end.

I would like to see Maureen continue leading the Fedora 7 theme selection
process as she has been, and as the "leading candidates" emerge, if there
are specific questions (from an artistic or implementation perspective)
about the themes, I'd like to see them discussed and hashed out on this
list.

=== Overall Fedora Art leadership ===

The conversations around the Fedora 7 theme are just one part of what the
Art team's larger goals are (as discussed way above).

Overall leadership of the Fedora Art project is needed.  I would like very
much to see the community of contributors who are most active in Fedora
Art nominate their own leader, and have the Fedora Board approve of that
choice, rather than have me (speaking for the Fedora Board) simply appoint
someone the leader (but I will if I have to).  I prefer to let a group
like Fedora Art choose its own leader because that is most likely to end
with a person who has the respect of the group being in charge -- someone
who has earned the right via the meritocracy that we always talk about.

The leadership job, as with any, will not be an easy one.

You'll have to look at all of the different goals of Fedora Art project
and see to it that progress is being made on all of them.  If that
involves immediately delegating that responsibility to someone else,
that's fine.  But the Fedora Board expects that the project will run
itself in a way that is in line with the Fedora ideals -- open decision
making, transparency, etc.

The leadership positions in the Fedora sub-projects are all the same.
Look at the job description for the Fedora Infrastructure Leader on the
wiki's Careers page -- the *details* are different between that project
and this one, but the *spirit* of the job is the same thing.  Every Fedora
project needs someone like this.

You'll have to be the person who makes a touch decision, the person who
reaches out to all the different groups that I talked about who are vested
in the results of Fedora Art, and make sure that they feel like they have
all had an opportunity to offer input and contribute.

And in the case of Fedora Art specifically, I think the job will also
require some peacemaking, and trying to get everyone to give things a
fresh start, a blank canvas, pick your cliche.

Who wants to do that job?  As a community, who do you nominate for this
position?

I am on vacation myself right now, so I won't be on my email constantly.
But I'll check this thread again in a day or two and see what sort of

Hopefully it's the first step on the path to making things better, and I'm
not just fanning the flames.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack