[Fwd: [Tango-artists] Re: Tango icons licensing]

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Thu Jul 27 14:38:08 UTC 2006

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> May I ask which license is recommended by FSF for artwork? Or which
> licenses for artwork are compatible with the GPL?
>
> We have heard from a long time from CreativeCommons supporters that GPL
> is not a good license for artwork, being by design a license for code
> not for art (and this sound reasonable, we can't really talk about the
> source code of a PNG or OGG).

The next version of the CC licenses should be released soon (within a
month, I heard at the Desktop Developers Conference last week). I
understand the updates are intended to address some of these
incompatibilities with GPL.

That said, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity