Yet Another Graffiti Wallpaper

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 31 09:12:57 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
>> There's still a popular perception that graffiti is associated with
>> pop culture and is unprofessional.
>
> I've always seen RHEL as being 'professional' or 'enterprise-y' while
> Fedora as more 'bleeding edge' and 'fun.'

Precisely.

>> It could be risky to use graffiti as part of the default theme in
>> Fedora.
>
> What is the risk?
>
> Don't we already have enough sterile, 'enterprise-ready' artwork out
> there? Perhaps Linux can grow from a painfully narrow demographic to a
> much wider one with a bit more variety in the artwork? Maybe we could
> try to push the edge by having a different theme/style each release?
>
> Just some food for thought. I'm not pushing for these to be default, but
> at the same time, I *am* pretty sick of the same-old, same-old 'sterile'
> graphic styles.
>
> For our last release, we had a bubble theme, which you could say is not
> 'professional,' but was most definitely 'fun' and generated a lot of
> excitement around the release. I kind of thought the point of Fedora was
> to build a community operating system, not to cater to professional
> types. There are plenty of other distros for that.

Agreed with that though I dont particularly like the last iteration of
the style which appears to be too dark to me. We should push one of the
backgrounds and gdm theme out into a test release and look at the
feedback. If you move quickly, we might even have it in the test2
release. There is always a risk in trying out anything that is
noticeable (more precisely completely boring) at all.

Rahul