The Icon Question

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at laposte.net
Fri Jun 16 08:06:43 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 15 juin 2006 à 20:26 +0200, nicola -kOoLiNuS- losito a écrit :
> Il giorno gio, 15/06/2006 alle 13.57 -0400, Diana Fong ha scritto:
> > I therefore, feel like I might
> > be poking at the hornet's nest a bit as I write this email to point to
> > the recent additions I've made to
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/BluecurveAndBeyond and to inquire
> > how you all feel about it.
>

> I do prefer "set one".
> I enjoy the more "squared" look of the icons.
>
> Also i do not think bluecurve to be cartoonish (did i say i love
> comics ?) and think it is one of the most consistent and not
> boring-in-the-long way icon sets.
>
> I also see the trash-icon as nice per se, but put on the FC5 default
> deskop it "disappears" ad the computer icon (in a minor way).
>
> I've shared :-)

From my point of view of Ambassador, I can tell that most of French
people I know on our community forum get rig fo the Bluecurve icon set.
Knowing if Bluecurve is used or not by the commuity can be very easy :
we have a thread on our forum where people publish a screenshot of their
desktop.
( http://www.fedora-france.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5532&forum=15 )
It remains very rare that the Bluecurve icon set is used. And i
understand them.

I personaly found that bluecurve makes the desktop sad, its colours seem
to be faded / washed out. But, more objectively, I agree with Diana
about its inconsistences, and found her new one
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/BluecurveAndBeyond much more
modern and pleasant to look. This is definitely a icon theme I will
think a lot before getting rid of it, because if Diana reaches her aim
of consisteny, it will be one of the most consistent gnome icon set ever
made, with the new ubuntu icon theme as well.

Bluecurve has done its way, but can't we have a bright and a high
quality icon theme?

Moreover, I feel that remaining with bluecurve is a problem in the
development of new icons, as the art team will have to stick to the
old-style theme.

Finally, why do we have an Art team if they can't redecorate the whole
house?

Regards,

--
Thomas Canniot