Cataloguing & Converting Bluecurve Icons

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Mon May 22 21:43:45 UTC 2006

Is it fair to assume, then, that the Bluecurve icon style will live on?

Bluecurve has been a great style, but is starting to look a bit date.
Over at the Tango project, the isometric perspective has been avoided
based on it's visual complexity and the difficultly in
creating/maintaining icons in such a perspective.

I would propose one of two options:

1. Adoption of the Tango icon library. The icons look good, there is
active and eager maintainer-ship, and apps are starting to use the style
(Sound Juicer, F-Spot, Banshee, Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus etc. ).

2. Adoption of the Tango *style* guidelines, while still keeping a
custom icon set for Fedora. This would have all of the advantages
(especially consistency) while maintaining a distinctive style.

Andreas Nilsson brought up something like option #2 on the list a while
back [1]. He included a screenshot mockup:
http://ramnet.se/~nisse/blog/images/foxtrot.png

The thing about Tango is, for it to really work, there needs to be adoption.

Can we get a feel for how those at the helm of the art for Fedora? If
there are things about the style that are keeping Fedora from adopting
the Tango style - let us know. There is still plenty of room for
improvement in the style and guidelines.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2006-April/msg00034.html