[FC7 theme proposal] Flying High with Fedora 7 - Round 1

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Thu Nov 23 19:36:19 UTC 2006

John Baer wrote:
> The Flying High with Fedora was just an idea which I thought could
> represent the level of achievement Fedora has obtained. It is hard to
> argue the hot air balloon theme may have been used before but I thought
> it offered an opportunity try new new colors, new shapes. Maybe more 3d?

Hot air balloons have been used somewhere, sometime, by somebody.  The
same could be said for many ideas...even the desktop.  Yet why do
hundreds, if not thousands, of people still continue to work on
Fedora?...because it offers an opportunity for new things.  No idea is
genuinely new these days...it's what you do with it, how you interpret,
and evolve the basic idea...that makes it innovative.  Even the process
by which we hopefully approach, collaborate, design and produce this
theme would be an innovation.  The way I interpreted Nicholas's link was
to point to an existing approach to the idea...too make us aware.

> As to the pictures in flying high, they were saved from the web to
> simply present the concept. My thought is original sketches would be
> better candidates for the final.

I, myself, was curious about the photos because the vibrant colors and
shapes inspired a couple visual directions I would like to explore.  It
would, therefore, have be convenient if there was free collection I
could experiment with.  There could be several different approaches to
the theme...some might fail and some might succeed far beyond what was
originally suggested...and _that's_ what I am excited to see in Round
two.  Original sketches could very well be the better choice.

> I also agree Fedora should equal innovation and innovation is a great
> concept for a theme but I am unsure how to present it.

I think you've done a great job with your emails to the fedora-art-list,
in addition the postings on your proposal page.  It shows us the idea
you have in mind, some variations of possible exploration within the
theme, and good starting points to inspire others in contributing to
this theme...not to mention the many ways it could potentially evolve.

Thank you for making such a promising theme proposal and for further
explaining the vision.

Diana