Thinking ahead to round 2

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 27 18:10:44 UTC 2006

Hi John!

John Baer wrote:
> All,
>
> As December 4th approaches I have some thoughts on round 2 of the Fedora
> Core 7 Theme process.
>
> * I am assuming the result of round 1 will be a decision on the theme and I
> am expecting most
> or all of the artwork will need to be created.

Well, actually my thinking was that Round 1 would just get the ideas out
there without worrying about the rendering. Round 2 would be more
focused on rendering - taking the concepts from round 1 and
creating/polishing the images.

Round 3 might be a decision point.

> With this in mind I suggest every art design that needs to be created have
> it's own wiki page to hold the submissions of round 2.

Good idea; I'll start a new page for round 2.

> For example, an art design category could be wallpaper.
>
> Another could be the grub boot splash.

Probably hold off on that level of granularity until round 3 I think.

> I would place the current image on the page as a reference and to remind
> submitters of the status quo. I would also place any design comments that
> may be appropriate such as the size or color restrictions.
>
> I would also include a wiki page for the CD/DVD and cover.

Some other things to consider - the default firefox home page graphics
(banner), default apache page when you set up apache on fedora, maybe
some little buttons/banners folks could use on their websites, banner
for the front page of fedoraproject.org.... hehe i could go on. Maybe
have one split - artwork for OS and supporting artwork for marketing/etc
materials.

> With this infrastructure in place art members may submit candidates for
> round 2. This would also let everyone know where we need to focus our
> efforts. As an example if the grub splash wiki is lacking candidates then a
> plea can be made to the group for help. If new members arrive this should
> make it easy for them to join the effort.
>
> In addition, I would note the images from the proof of concept may or may
> not be apart of round 2.
>
> I envision the result of all of this to be a set of images for each image
> category. The final images would come from this group with any last minute
> tweaking.
>
> If this approach is reasonable and agreeable I would ask Diana (?) to
> prepare the wiki pages with the current images and any other submission
> detail we may need.

I can do this. Thanks.

> Last thought, if there are any changes coming as a result of the Fedora
> summit perhaps a master/title wiki page would be appropriate stating the
> changes. {I heard a rumor the word "core" was being dropped?) Comments
> relative to the theme could be placed here as well.

It is - great point!