Thinking ahead: some FC7 ideas

Leo sdl.web at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 23:19:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 16/10/06 17:51 +0100, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Hi Luya,

[...]

> * Echo development icons is set to be the default.
>
> This I think is pending a lot of different factors so I don't know
> that we can assure this for FC7.

One thing for sure is that depending on the community to finish the
icon set takes way too much time. We need a sub-project leader to
direct and motivate the team.

[...]

> * It appears Cairo engine is very stable. It will be be nice to for
> some people to generate an enhanced Clearlook theme for Fedora Core 7.
>
> Developing a theme is pretty difficult & time-consuming but if we can
> get some good mockups early on then it'd be easier to hit FC7.

I'd suggest "Murrine GTK2 Cairo Engine"¹. I have been using
MurrinaGilouche² which is based on this engine. Tweaking an existing
theme is much less time consuming and is deliverable.

It's odd to see the discussion of metacity and gtk2 themes off the
table for FC6. And I think they are the most important elements
because for one thing they are what users see 99% of their time using
computer. As hibernation/suspension works quite well now, most of the
people may see their login screen once a month and grub splash screen
once half a year.

Footnotes:
¹  http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=42755
²  http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=44510