[FC7 theme proposal] Fedora Borealis Round 1

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at laposte.net
Tue Oct 31 10:23:53 UTC 2006

Le mardi 31 octobre 2006 à 00:42 -0500, Máirín Duffy a écrit :
> Here's a theme idea I came up with:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fc7ThemeProposalFedoraBorealis
>
> Here's the concept behind it:
>
> I started thinking about how Fedora is a pure operating system - one of
> the core values of Fedora is only including free and open source
> software, without including non-free software, codecs, drivers, patents,
> etc. We try to be a *pure* operating system. So the main word I'd use to
> describe this theme is pure. Soft, clean glows. Pure, clean reflections.
>
> I liked Milk Flat Blue [1] as an accompanying metacity theme. Not so
> happy with Clearlooks LightBlues [2] as a GTK+ theme - I like the blue
> highlights but its kinda overwhelmingly bright in other spots. There is
> probably something better out there.
>
> ~m
>
> [1] http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=19390
> [2] http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=31788

ok, here is my critique of FedoraBorealis. I'm trying to make something
different than "i like it" as MD suggested it in her mail yesterday [1].

* About the wallpaper
The impressions it conveys to me is that everything is going higher. All
the elements that compose our logo are going higher. As they all
represent freedom and community, it makes free software in general going
higher and as a consequence the use we can make of a computer is
improving thanks to foss.
Going higher is a positive direction (even if i don't believe in any
god) it seems god may be above us. Freedom could be linked as well as
something pure then.
I'm a bit sad with this "fedora" that seems stuck on earth. Maybe it
could try to reach some sky as well.

* About Metacity Theme and GTK+ Theme
I feel very strange about flatness. It seems that windows are only one
piece of everything, whereas there are different elements that compose a
nautilus windows (title bar, menu bar etc.)
About the top right hand corner buttons,  the fact they do not convey
the actions they are aimed at will be very annoying for people who are
not used to a computer.

* Bootsplash Concept
It seems to be the ufo of this theme. Even if it is pure, as there are
nothing but Fedora on it, it is the same Fedora stuck to earth that all
his friends that were going higher in the wallpaper abandoned there.
Pureness must then not rhyme with emptiness. I feel that pureness is
well conveyed with no "bug" on a painting, no shortcomings (perfect
light - no shadow - bright and sharp colours for example)

Cheers, hope this helps.

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2006-October/msg00128.html