Help with FC6 Theme

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Tue Sep 5 15:22:55 UTC 2006

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>>> I admit of being lazy and not testing myself (it would require a
>>> reboot of my computer :p ), the theming overview page list 256
>>> colors for GRUB and cites a source
>>> (http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LG/current/jayanth.html) which source
>>> states 14 colors.
>>
>> I changed it to 256 colors last week. It originally said 14 but Diana
>> told me it was really 256.
>
> I know you modified it by looking at the editing history so I assumed
> you know more about the subject than me.
> In the meantime I tried a 256 colors image and it was displayed using
> a wrong color palette.
>
> It would be useful to have 256 colors, as I can easily see the
> dithering in this image and probably a 256 colors image will not have
> the problem:
> http://people.redhat.com/dfong/fc6reGraphics/MolaBranch/final/fc6grub-splash.png
>

> note: even with visible dithering, I think this is a very good GRUB
> splash.

I return with answers.  I've been asking various people on the installer
team and finally got a concrete answer from Jeremy Katz.

"jeremy: iirc, it's 16 colors can be used but an xpm is 256 colors (I
remember we had this confusion right before fc5)"

So...
- *GRUB splash is 16 colors* With one black and one white.  So you've
only really got 14 colors.
- Anaconda prompt (aka syslinux-splash) is ALSO 16 colors...One black,
one white, AND one red.  Which leaves you with 13  other colors.

Diana