Figuring out the mission (Paul W. Frields)

John Baer baerjj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 13:39:39 UTC 2007

On 2/22/07, David wrote:

> Maybe this write-up by Jef is useful for you to read
>

> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-January/msg00176.html
>
> since I think you're confused about what open source means (you seem to
> equate it with democracy). Anyway, I'm going to step out of this thread
> for a bit...

David, thank you for the above link. A great read ... and Paul thank you for
your comments.

In my mind I am trying to sort out moving forward in a way that adds value.

Here are my questions.

1. Referencing David's link above, who is our benevolent dictator (my
preference of title would be "Red Hat liaison")? If this is the way we must
travel let's put our cards on the table.

2. Should artwork be centralized or decentralized? By that I mean should the
documentation team come to the art team for art work or just do it? If the
decision is decentralized then the question becomes is there a need for a
art team?

3. If the decision stands that Red Hat will take control of the Fedora
desktop I would argue this should also include icons. IMO icons are too
closely tied to artwork to be be separated and if they are this will be
source of future issues like the one we just experienced.

With these questions answered I can assemble some ideas in a wiki page for
the team to consider. If these questions can not be answered I am at a lost
of what to do next.

More as a BTW, I loaded the latest Ubuntu herd CD to see what's going on
there and I was amused to see some of the artwork considered unworthy for
"dapper" is in the package for "feisty". I can only assume Mark S. realized
his decision to pull artwork from the community was a mistake. Maybe there
is a lesson to be learned . :)

Cheers,

John