go-home echo icon concept

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Fri Feb 16 20:47:35 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:
> Maybe we should at least consider whether the darkest color at the
> first end should be solid or semitransparent. If it would be
> semitranpsparent than the amount of lightness in that point could be
> handled only by the transparency. As it is in real world - when the
> object which casts the shadow is nearer than the shadow is darker and
> less blurry, in oposite way a light find its way (due to diffraction
> and dispersion) and allows us to see more details of background and
> less details in a shadow. So we could in that case decide the basic
> values - when the shadow is casted from a solid object directly above
> - and the other values simply would be an alternation of these - like
> in the case of glass more degree of transparency. Do you think this
> could work well? I think shadows for an icon set should be consistent.

Looking at various icons created in the past, it
seems...*squints*...that the darkest color is semitransparent.  This is
not really that noticeable and some might not be semitransparent (but
that could be fixed to fit the rule we come up with for consistency).

So let's conclude that it is semitransparent.  What then, are the cases
and values?  Also, what should be the opacity value of the darkest
area?  Care to take a first crack at breaking these down?

Thanks,
Diana Fong
---
Red Hat