Where are we?

John Baer baerjj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 16:24:34 UTC 2007

Rahul wrote:

> Should we have IRC weekly meetings to discuss changes and monitor
> progress in #fedora-art channel? I can lead that discussion for a
> while
> if that is useful.

Not a bad idea if a time can be agreed to.

> Otherwise, I have some questions:
>
> * Have we decided a default theme for the different spins in Fedora 7
> release. The desktop spin for Fedora 7 is scheduled to be released
> soon

I do not know who or how the default theme is selected. I put forth my
best effort to prepare the *flying high* theme for consideration and if
this is the theme to be used I would have no problem having it ready for
the scheduled released dates. If *flying high* is not the candidate, IMO
there is much work needed as the other themes are missing artwork.

> and we are pretty much on the conceptual stage now. Before we put a
> theme into the distribution, we would probably need much more polish.
> See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Core/Schedule.

Based on Diana's guide, I believe all of the pieces are available for
viewing at this wiki site.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fc7ThemeProposalFlyingHighPreview2

> * How much more work does it to make the Echo icon theme complete in
> some form?

> Does echo work with KDE, XFCE etc and can be the KDE or
> applications written in a non-GTK toolkit work with echo properly? Is
> that planned to be done for the general release of Fedora 7?

I do not know the status of the *echo icon theme* but based on the
number of bug reports submitted against the ubuntu dapper icon theme, it
sounds like this type of effort needs extensive testing.

> * Do we want a unified look and feel between GNOME and KDE? There are
> themes like Qtcurve we might adopt.

I am in agreement with a unified look and for the most part the *flying
high* theme plays well for Gnome and KDE. I did not test against XFCE.
IMO the artwork should be theme transparent as much as possible. I
tested *flying high* against beryl, cario, blue curve, and murrina.
However, a decision on the default desktop theme would be helpful.

There was some discussion on an earlier thread the KDE login manager may
be changed and if that is true the details of what that means from an
artwork perspective needs to be discussed.

> http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=40492
>
> KDE folks are looking at installing gtk-qt-engine and kmenu-gnome for
> the KDE spin in Fedora 7. Do we intend to install the engine and the
> complimentary GNOME menu extended for the Desktop spin?
>
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=31033

Based on a post by Mo to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/FC7Themes
the next deadline we are shooting for is the 12th of February. Based on
the release schedule, RC1 is due on 27th of February (15 days later). I
do not know when new artwork should be included in the release cycle but
IMO sooner is better than later. If later is the decision, we can
continue to post previews to the forum.

Cheers,

John