document-page-setup or/and document-properties icon mockups.

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Wed Mar 14 21:49:49 UTC 2007

Well, it would confuse me, if it was not already quite widely used... I think
the metaphor isn't best, but it is still good. You cannot usually tweak the doc
in its properties, but there is usually something to set, but also to (only)
look at. Neither the microscope nor the wrench is exact metaphor, since both
symbolizes only one part of the whole, but since we are already used to wrench I
would stick to it.

I looked a once more at some applications both with their own icon set and with
icons that come from the icon them you use, and what I've found: OOo with
crystal icon set uses page with wrench to symbolize document properties , but
that would IMO rather signalize page properties/settings, and nothing to
settings. Nautilus, with echo icon set, which derives missing icons from
clearlooks/bluecurve, has for file properties wrench and for settings wrench
with screwdriver. Not very different icons, but easy to distinguish I think.

I hope I do not confuse the app settings with doc properties, but I am not
English native speaker as well...

Regards,
Martin