[Echo] git screencasts

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 16:16:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've just recorded another screencast for the echo-icon-theme git
repository how-to's. That makes two versions of the "Setting up the git
repository" screencast (mkv+h264+ass subs and ogv+theora) and one
version of "Adding new icons to git" [1]. As I am still new to this area
I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions what to do with the files
next and which way is better - mkv+h264 or theora wherever (preferably
in matroska as well) - and whether the subtitle commentary is desired.

I also noticed that the ogv file causes a lot of problems, one being
that rawhide totem complains of missing codecs, but plays it fine,
another that mkvmerge fails to read the file and the same goes for
avidemux. I tried renaming to ogm or ogg, and whereas both ogg and ogm
fixes totem and enable nautilus to generate thumbnail, the other issues
remain unchanged. It seems to me that the file header is incorrect.
Since mplayer can play it, it is probably possible to fix these issues
via mencoder, but I have zero experience with it.

Any suggestions, ideas, advices?

Thanks,
Martin