T-shirt design feed back

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 12:45:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 15:34 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Pierre-Yves wrote:
> > Dear list,
>
> Hi,
>
> > Sometime ago I have made a couple of t-shirt design that I would like to
> > present you.
> > There is nothing special on them, just a couple of ideas I had. Some
> > might like them, some not, never mind :).
> >
> > I would like to have your opinion on those, and especially on the legal
> > aspect of them. Do they fit the guidelines exactly ? (I have read them
> > but I prefer to ask you confirmation rather than doing something wrong).
>
> I am by no means an expert in law or an expert in branding, but I see in
> some designs you added a black outline around the "8" and the "f" shapes
> (and I am not sure, but I think I see one around the bubble). That is
> not OK, our logo is *without* outlines.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines#Symbol_Clear_Space

Also, the design doesn't protect the minimum space around the logo.

> Beyond that, the shirts are quite simple and straightforward (in a good
> sense): the Fedora logo and a slogan. Not sure about the usefulness of
> introducing yet another slogan when we are trying to come with something
> about "4 Foundations".

Yes, I would like to avoid setting up a bunch of new slogans all at the
same time.  At the same time, I realize that the alliteration ("f" at
the beginning of all the words) won't work outside English, for which I
apologize.  But the *ideas* are strong, so translating those words
directly would still be powerful, I think.

Part of the power of a slogan comes from using it consistently.  If
everyone makes their own, how do we tell the difference between the
unofficial ones and the official one?  Frankly, I'd rather see T-shirts
not reflect any slogan, just the branding (logo) and website.

--
Paul W. Frields